Sunday 9 August 2009

Light Matcha strawberry Muffin

Slept at 3am yesterday because I was searching for something 'light' to bake for the family and I found a recipe with a combination of both Green tea and cupcake. I like! After much feedback from my family, I've come to realise that my family, including myself prefer cakes that are much lighter in texture. Something not too heavy and filling. I thought this would be light, because for some strange reason I kept thinking about japanese cake (even though this recipe was adapted from Martha Steward). The result however was nothing close to light, in fact, I found it pretty heavy still. But the taste and texture was good. So i'll definitely bake this again, perhaps with some adjustments.

According to the recipe, it says, matcha powder but I used green tea steeped in milk instead because the matcha powder was very expensive and was gonna expire much sooner than I could possibly finish using.

DSC01771

This is my first attempt at making pretty cupcakes because I would like to sell them and be called angietanPIE. ( Okay not funny..) The main reason I stayed up late was also because I was finding out how to make fondants. I know its not reflected in the cupcake below because I have yet to make/ find any fondants yet! So I decided to use the buttercream recipe as suggested, which I failed 3 times. For some reason my butter cream was stiff for only 1 min before it turns watery again. The picture below is the little amount of butter cream that I was able to extract before it became a mashy lump of watery cottage cheesy thing.

DSC01774

The inside is filled with strawberry jam :)

DSC01775

I bought all these tips thinking that I'll be able to experiment with the buttercream today. It did not happen. Look how sad and lonely they look.


DSC01781

I half this recipe to make 6 muffins instead ( here is the original recipe from the sweetest kitchen. )

Matcha Cupcakes
Adapted from Billy’s Bakery & Martha Stewart
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients

3/4 cup + 2 Tbs cake flour, not self-rising

1/2 C + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

1 1/2 Tsps baking powder

1/2 Tsp salt

1 Tbs fresh matcha powder ( I used 2 green bags of green tea, but would suggest 3/4 tea bags for stronger flavor)

1/2 C unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes

2 large eggs

1/2 C whole milk

1/2 Tsp vanilla extract

Strawberry Jam or preserves


Method

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and matcha powder; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until the cubes of butter are peanut-sized or a little smaller.

In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.

Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, using the cone method, fill cupcakes with strawberry jam or preserves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin