Thursday, 30 July 2009
I really had no idea how bread pudding would look like fresh out of the oven. Since I usually see it in a restaurant half eaten already but koh took a look at this picture and said it looked fine. So yup it looks like that.
Soft and moist on the inside.
Because some brat wants cookies I decided to check out some cookie recipe and chance upon an Italian sesame cookie recipe. Its more common to find chinese pastery/ desert with sesame and there was a big packet of sesame lying around. So was pretty curios to see how does Italian sesame cookie taste!
The hand that made the dough smooth. ( need much more flour, about one more cup, than stated in the recipe)
Smell of roasted sesame was fantastic!
These Sesame cookies takes a while getting use to. The first bite was a little tasteless but as you chew, the aroma of sesame fills your mouth. Nice!
Since today is a sunday and ah huat's mum
This are carrots. Looking all fresh and orange. If only carrots could look this earthy back home.
Glowing carrots. Fresh out of the oven.
All dolled up carrot cake.
Ready to be eaten
Below is the green man and his preparation table. I think to say that a person 'can cook' is when he/she is able to cook without the help of any recipe. Hence Huat can cook.
And the final product! Taste SUPER!
Earlier in the afternoon I bake some donut looking apple cake. I wanted to bake something with apples and found this recipe. I did not know that the pan was meant to bake donuts till I filled the mixture into the pan. And the recipe said to bake with red apples but I did not have any and wanted to get rid of the green apples before it becomes bad.
Fresh out of the oven.
Taste much better when its cooled and taste pretty good even without the cinnamon on top.
Original Cheese cake recipe is here
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs ( I used some chocolate wheat cookie as substitue.)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 6 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and margarine with a fork until combined. Measure a rounded tablespoon of the mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup, pressing firmly. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes, then remove to cool. Keep the oven on.
- Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla until fluffy. Mix in the egg.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the muffin cups, filling each until 3/4 full. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan before removing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
bWhats even more fun about baking is when you are able to find substitute for certain ingredients and the final product taste just as good. (At least from ah huat's feedback, and I hope he is not being bias.) I found out that baking powder works just as well as baking soda, and could be used as a substitute for one another. ( 1tsp of baking soda = 2tsp of baking powder) And that there are many substitutes for yogurts. ( Milk and lemon/ vinegar or Buttermilk could be substituted for yogurts, which is suppose to make make the muffin/ cake moist on the inside.) And I prefer to chop up chocolate bars rather than use chocolate chips because different types of chocolates used gives a different taste and i find it more visually pleasing.
I am still a noob at baking and will try to bake other stuff and I often get my recipe from allrecipe because they have reviews that are pretty useful and get my inspiration from looking at Tastspotting, (Warning: website could cause hunger)
For today's bake I got the original recipe from Here.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt ( I used 1 tbsp of lemon juice and mixed it with milk till its a full cup, then used half the portion)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Baking has a therapeutic effect.
Made some changes to the Recipe
Its a recipe for chocolate chip but i decided to add white chocolate as well and took the advise of some of the reviewers as well!
Warm Chocolate oozing out. OMG!
1 whole egg
2.5 egg yolk
1. Pre-heat oven to 250 deg C
2. Grease 2 large muffin tins or cup with butter then dust flour
3. melt choco and butter in bowl set over a pot of hot water on low heat
4. beat whole egg, egg yolks and sugar together with a whisk
5. sift flour into bowl of egg mixture and fold it in till well incorporated
6. fold melted butter and choco mixture gently till well incorporated
7. pour choco mixture into muffin tin and bake at 250 deg C for 8-10min. The top should form a crust and begin to come away from the sides of the mould
8. Slide a small paring knife along the inside of the mould to loosen the fondant.
Tip if from the mould onto a plate and serve warm!