Hello world! Its been a while since I last baked, 2 months I reckon! And why have I not been baking? Its because I am lazy, plain and simple :/ Moving forward now. I have decided to bake Hazelnut cake with chocolate glaze. Its My first time baking a cake with glaze!
So I finally get to use my christmas present from Ah huat! Its so slim and light weight! This is the best invention for baking if you are a noob at baking still! Before having this digital weighing scale I was using the old school weighing scale, well that sounds pretty alright right? BUT the one I was using was to weight paper! Rather pathetic, but not that I have this, life is a lot easier!
I think Hazelnut cake is seldom baked around here, at least at home unless you have one of those food processors that could ground your hazelnuts. Since I did not have that, I could not bake it even though I have been wanting to try it out. So last year when I was in Germany, I bought the ready grounded hazelnut. While searching for a nice Hazelnut Cake recipe, I chance upon a hazelnut recipe from allrecipes . After reading through some of the reviews I concluded that
1) This is a really good recipe
2) Its really easy to bake
3) It seem Germans like hazelnut chocolate cakes.
Ingredient (serves 11)
205g White Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of salt
80ml Heavy Whipping cream
115g Dark Chocolate ( at least 70% cocoa)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease the bottom of one springform pan.
2) Pulse the nuts in a food processor until ground.
3) Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, cool
4) In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar and 1 Tsp vanilla extract until thick and lemon colour (about 2-3mins) Add flour, baking powder, salt and ground nuts, mix well. Continue to beat mixture while slowly adding the cooled melted butter until blended (mixture will be thick). Spread batter into prepared pan.
5) Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 min then remove sides of pan. Remove pan bottom and invert onto a serving plate. Cover with a cloth towel and cool for another 30 mins before glazing (I did not cover with a cloth though and it worked pretty alright.)
6) To make Glaze: In a medium saucepan bring whipping cream just to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the dark chocolate until melted and smooth. Stir in 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract. Spread glaze over top of cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides.
If you are wondering what the donut looking thing is on top of the cake. Its sorta like rice loops coated in chocolate.
The cake tasted pretty good I must say! :) Combination of Hazelnut and dark chocolate goes pretty well!