Monday 31 August 2009

Chiffon cake

For a period of time I did not really like chiffon cake, because the first thing that comes to mind when talking about chiffon cake is pandan cake. Which I am not particularly excited about. But while I was looking through recipes for light cakes, Angel cake popped up pretty often. After finding out about it and reading many positive reviews about the angel cake recipe, I was about to bake it until I saw the number of egg white required for an Angel cake. While I am willing to experiment and discover different types of cake I am not willing to waste stuff. I don't like having 7 egg yolks stored in the fridge. Bake Angel cake plan abandoned. 
After searching for a little more, I found a recipe for lemon chiffon cake, which looks pretty interesting. I did not have any lemon and was determined to make something with my favorite ingredient. GREEN TEA! Hence I tried baking green tea chiffon cake. Still did not get the green tea powder though so I used green tea bags instead. 
I know the final product does not look fantastic but really the texture was good. I think this chiffon cake recipe is a good base to add your creativity! 
The trick to making good chiffon cake is preparing the eggs separately. Alright maybe its not a trick but I made this discovery today! Shiny egg yolk. Shiny egg whites.  
 
Before entering the oven. So light and fluffy.
Up close and personal.
Serves 7
Adapted from Here.

  • 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons cake flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons green tea water ( Basically I steeped 2 tea bags in the water.) 
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar





  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
  3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, and beat until very stiff and shiny peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Turn batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake and cool completely in pan. When cool, loosen edges and shake pan to remove cake.
  5. To Make Filling: Beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold in lemon filling. Chill until stiff.
* Would recommend 1-2 tsp of green tea powder. 

1 comment:

  1. i have the same green tea bags at home!
    -friend

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin